168 Hour Film Project

ok, this is a very funny story....I got an email last night from my friend Robert Wu letting me know about this project called 168 Hour Film Project. It's a Christian film festival of sorts where about 50 producers make these short films based on a scripture from the bible, then they put it together, shoot, edit, everything, in 168 hours. Then they screen them.
So they were having an open call today in Burbank. I was debating whether or not I wanted to go. The check in time was 7:30am! That's very early for a Saturday! But I went ahead and printed up 50 resumes and headed over to Burbank. It was insane! Over 300 actors were lined up to sign in. It started to drizzle, then rain on us and the sign in process got a little unorganized and insane. So it took me until 10am to get in front of the producers on a stage, very much like A Chorus Line. I come up to the mic and say my name and something about myself...and that's it. The producers decide, while looking at your resume and you on stage, if they want to invite you to audition for their film. After 4 producers invited me, I set up my auditions times for the afternoon. It was already 1pm before I started heading over to my first appointment. This is where I got a little annoyed. It was so unorganized - and it didn't matter if you signed up for a particular time, they weren't going by that anyway. Everyone was backed up and I waited an hour just to get into my first appointment!
I walked in and they told me I was probably too young for their mom role since the character was around 50, but we could do improv for the audition anyway. The film was a silent film, but we improv'd with words for the director/producer. I left that audition and headed over to my next one. The wait for that one was crazy long! They were backed up too, and didn't know what time I would be seen. UGH! I don't know if it was my growing headache, or being around so many new and green actors waiting for their very first booking in LA, but I just didn't feel like this was for me anymore. I was waiting all day for someone to give me one line in their 10 minute short film. It just didn't seem worth it to me - so I decided to leave. I didn't make my other three appointments - not sure if they would've noticed anyway considering the mess it was! I chalked up the whole day as a waste of my time, and headed home.
This is the funny part....That one audition that I went to - the one where I was "probably too young anyway", ended up calling me and offering me the part! She said that they would have a make up artist age me because she really liked my audition. The film is a silent film, but my character is going to be one of the main characters. "The third lead", if that means anything! I just thought it was funny how the only audition I went to ended up offering me the role. And I thought the whole day was a waste of my time. Oh well...Maybe there's a reason why I was offered this part. A reason why I was supposed to be there today.
I'm scheduled to shoot on Thursday afternoon.

Comments

Anonymous said…
You were probably the only "Pro" there.

-Lett
Unknown said…
awww...thanks!
Lipp said…
Hi Lydia. Great story about the 168. I had quite similar feelings about auditioning but it turned out I couldn't go anyway. Although I did end up helping out a Director friend in a non-acting capacity & checked out a good portion of the festival. Were you there? What film was yours?
Anonymous said…
Really amazing! Useful information. All the best.
»

Popular posts from this blog

Proud Agent

And the JOURNEY Continues...

ACTOR: Your Hobby or Profession?