Rolling with the Big Dogs

I met with my new attorney this morning. Crazy that I even have a "new attorney"! She was very nice. We talked a lot about this whole process and I learned SO MUCH in that one hour meeting! They are a very reputable firm who represents Patrick Dempsey, Halle Berry, and now....ME! crazy.
I wasn't sure about this whole thing at first. I thought I would hurt my chances if I came to the table with an "attorney" representing me (My small town mentality). But the attorney made a good point, she said this would give me a stronger credibility. I'm sure there are numerous actors who get to this screen test level for the first time, and are so excited that they take the first deal offered by the studios. This first deal is so important because it establishes your quote. The remainder of your career is affected by this first step. If you get low-balled, and accept that, the rest of your career is "playing catch-up". So it's very important to hire people who know what they are doing and who can get you the very best deal possible. I thought that if we countered with a too high number, that they would roll their eyes at me and just say "forget it" and move on. Little did I know! Apparently that's not how it works at all. And apparently I forgot what NEGOTIATING means! hahaha
By the time I walk into the room to meet with the studio and network, my contract for the next 7 years has already been agreed upon by both sides, me and the studio (which is negotiated by their business affairs) and already signed! And my attorney made another good point, they won't agree and sign a contract that they can't afford or one that they aren't willing to pay. In her eyes, the contract has to be worth my while because essentially, the studio would "own" me while I'm on the show. I can't go out for other pilots, or do anything that conflicts with this one. Guest appearances on other shows would be limited, except for like game or talk shows.
All of this has been very exciting! I have always been pretty business minded in my career, and this is another level that I have never seen!
They ended up pushing back my screen test a week. I go in on Monday and Tuesday, the 11th and 12th. AND they added a third person. Great.
But I'm just going to stay focused and go in there and do the very best job I can. And then just sit and wait. I doubt I will have to wait long. I'm sure I'll hear a decision by that Wednesday, or Thursday the latest....
Again.....Crazy!!! But I love it! :)

Comments

Unknown said…
Wow! Good luck. I became excited just reading about your experience.
karyrogers said…
I've been following your blog for a while (forget how I came across it) and this sounds sooo exciting! I have my fingers crossed and will send good vibes across the country to you next week. =)
Shenita Moore said…
Wow!Congrats Lydia! You definitely deserve all of this.

- Shenita.
Jen said…
Congratulations Lydia! You're in my thoughts and prayers!
mendlbarr said…
We are keeping our fingers crossed that you get the role! God knows you have worked hard for it! We enjoy reading about your journey!

Blessings and graces to you,
Belinda & David

Popular posts from this blog

And the JOURNEY Continues...

Proud Agent

ACTOR: Your Hobby or Profession?