Lydia's Journey BEYOND Hollywood

Follow an actress's journey beyond Hollywood. The life after a successful 10 year career...

Monday, October 24, 2005

Monday October 24 - My First Blog Ever!!!!


Ok, So I have heard what a blog is, I have even read a couple, but this is MY first blog entry! I am currently working on my website - which is taking very long to create. So I decided to create my own way to keep "my fans" (aka family and friends) in the loop of what's happening in my life here in Hollywood.

Just a quick update up until today....I've lived here in Los Angeles for about 4 1/2 years. Things were off to a slow and scary start. I had NO CLUE where to begin this journey. I moved from Austin, Texas - where I did independent feature films, theater, commercials, anything and everything I could to perform. It was great. I LOVE Austin and would go back any day to live. Too bad I can't book my own sitcom in Austin - which is why I currently reside in Los Angeles. But I love LA too - don't get me wrong!
When I got here, I had my first audition for Resurrection Blvd my first month in town. I went to producers for it - but I didn't get it. I did find my agent who I was with for 4 years because of that audition. I did extra work for about a year and a half. It was absolute torture. I didn't mind doing it at first because I got to spend my days on a set. It was torture because it killed me to take up the space behind another actor who was doing what I wanted to do. What I was supposed to be doing. And it was also torture because being a non-union extra is not the best treated job in this city. It's the bottom of the barrel to these people out here. After I worked as an extra on a new tv show starring Richard Dreyfuss, I decided to stop doing this extra work. He came and sat down to talk to all of us extras and said that if we REALLY wanted to ACT - we needed to stop doing extra work. After that conversation, I stopped working as an extra. A couple of months later, I booked my first speaking role, which was on Strong Medicine. I really felt like things had come full circle when I booked that job because I have worked as an extra on that show plenty of times. And there I was, sitting in my private dressing room, ready to have a speaking part with extras all around me. It was a very surreal and satisfying moment.

Since that booking, I have worked pretty steadily and have been blessed tro work on some great shows. I have been on CSI, The Practice, The Shield to name a few. I have turned that role on Strong Medicine into a recurring one, having done 3 episodes as the same character. Most recently I played Larry David's housekeeper in Curb Your Enthusiasm which aired a couple of weeks ago. I have been fortunate enough to work with Tom Hanks and Steven Spielberg on The Terminal. Currently I am in a play called Conversations 'Bout The Girls, which is very much like The Vagina Monologues, but about breasts. I try to do as many plays as I can, usually about one a year, except for this year. I performed in Real Women Have Curves earlier this year in Santa Barbara, and now this play.
And so this brings us to today. Today I went straight to producers for Everwood. This casting director has cast me before, and lately has been calling me in for a lot of different shows. I really do hope I book something soon since I just signed with a new agent and don't want them to lose faith in me.
I also have an audition for a Wells Fargo print job today at 2:40pm. This has been nice today, running around to different auditions all day. It's not like this usually. It varies, but it's a good week if I have 2-3 auditions. I normally audition for tv and film more than commercials. I definately have to get some new color headshots soon.
So, check back on this blog to find out more about what it's like to be a struggling actress in Hollywood, in an industry where Latinas are often seen as the maid (see my CSI and Curb episodes). I plan to make some changes in this industry, and in turn, my career.

11 Comments:

Blogger 'Thought & Humor' said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

6:33 PM  
Blogger Kelly Dahl Johnson said...

I get so giddy and excited to read about someone else's journey towards their #1 goal in life. I'm going through a similar journey in opening my own restaurant in less than 3 months, and although the excitement may be the same, the levels are completely different. My thoughts, prayers, and Woo Hoo!'s are definitely with you Lydia. Keep up the great and fulfilling work.

10:41 AM  
Blogger Sam Blanco said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

1:05 PM  
Blogger Sam Blanco said...

Really nice job with the web site Lydia. I really wish you the best of luck and hope you land some good roles soon. I hope to take a trip to Corpus within the next year or two, I sure do miss seeing my family.

1:05 PM  
Blogger charlie johnson said...

i would love to have your autograph before you become famous charlie in corpus

2:53 PM  
Blogger charlie johnson said...

i want your autograph before you become famous

2:54 PM  
Blogger Selvatia said...

Querida Lydia, no entiendo muy bien el ingl├ęs pero aprecio tu blog. Eres una mujer entusiasta e interesante. Te invito a visitar mi blog en castellano: "El arte de inventarte". Y a todos los que lean este comentario. Gracias y suerte.

9:00 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

Create job Lydia, I enjoy reading your path. The drive within you will help you soar like eagles wings.

9:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very best site. Keep working. Will return in the near future.
»

2:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting website with a lot of resources and detailed explanations.
»

9:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So excited for you!!! Maribels' friend here from Texas....we cruised Corpus one summer when I was there visiting relatives!!!! All I can say is WOW! Best wishes, will keep a eye on your site and will watch Monk tomorrow, hugh fan of Tony! C ya! Betty

4:09 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home