Trading in My Title

Do I still call myself an actress?
For many years, even before I was making any money as an actress, I identified myself to anyone who would ask, that yes, I AM AN ACTRESS.  I always felt that unless I claimed it, it wouldn't happen.  So I have been an actress for most of my life.  Getting paid for it for the past 20 years.  It's who I've always been.  And when I made the decision to leave LA and search for something MORE, the next phase in my life, I had no idea that I'd be trading in my title as "actress" for "Mom".  
It's funny, because I still have difficulty with that transition.  When other moms ask me what I do for a living, or used to do - I still say I'm an actress - even though I'm not actively pursuing a career.  I coach kids on their upcoming auditions, I do career consulting for new actors, I'll even cast your film if you hire me, or produce a project.  I have worn many titles, but actress has always spilled off my tongue first.  I think it will always be a part of who I am.  Maybe I'm just not used to simply saying, "I'm a mom now.  I stay home with my babies."  
I do think about getting more involved with my career, but I'm not sure why.  Boredom?  Maybe because it's safe?  - it's what I know?  
It's not that I want to work again.  Isn't that weird?  

So its time to pass the torch.  
I took my babies to an audition last weekend for an industrial shooting here in Austin.  Their first audition, actually.  Ivy got a callback.  :)  She goes Friday afternoon, and I couldn't be more excited for her!  I'd much rather be on set for her, than myself.  And I don't plan on being the stage mom, and moving back to LA for pilot season (well, unless she happens to have an amazing talent - then how can I deny her??  ;))  But taking them to an audition here and there (which are few and far between in their age bracket and city), would be fun and get us out of the house.  Maybe even make some college money??  Who knows?

But I'm liking my new title as Mom, the one who takes care of these beautiful babies.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Proud Agent

And the JOURNEY Continues...

ACTOR: Your Hobby or Profession?