**Beware of Scammers**

This weekend, a company arrived in my old hometown and gathered almost 1,000 locals in a "talent search" for young stars.  NOTHING angers me more than someone trying to take advantage of another person, except for when that person is a hopeful kid with a dream.  They promise success and lure these people into paying THOUSANDS of dollars in classes and workshops giving hope that their kid will be the next star on Disney or Nickelodeon or "High School Musical 4".
Listen to me:  DO NOT give them your money.  What they are telling you is bullshit.
Whenever you run into someone who says that you can be famous or have all these opportunities if you just pay money upfront is a scam.  ANYONE who asks for money upfront is a scam.  An agent or manager will take a small percentage off of work you book (usually 10-15%).  You do not pay them weekly or monthly.
It makes me SO MAD that they sit these people in a room, and they talk a nice talk, and get everyone excited and hopeful - and none of these dreams they can deliver on.
If your kid has talent, find an agent.  Get them auditioning, if that's what they've always wanted to do.  But let me tell you, it's hard work and a commitment on the parents end.  You will have to take them out of town a lot for auditions, maybe even LA.  Or better yet, have them take Theater Arts in their school and audition for local plays.  Let them figure out if this is what they want.  You do not need to fork over thousands of dollars to a company that can NOT do anything for your child's career.  If your kid is going to be the next big star on Disney, it's because they AUDITIONED for the CASTING DIRECTOR.  Not some company.  And an audition is always free.  Always.
If you have any questions, or are not sure if you are being scammed, and want to ask me for advice - feel free to email me.  I try and do what I can to help those who are just starting out.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Whаt's Going down i am new to this, I stumbled upon this I've found Ιt absolutely helpful аnd it
hаs hеlpeԁ me оut loads.
ӏ am hoping to contributе & aid ԁifferent usеrs like
its helpеd me. Grеat job.
Here is my weblog the barks meow

Popular posts from this blog

Proud Agent

And the JOURNEY Continues...

ACTOR: Your Hobby or Profession?