Despite the Fear...






This week wasn't about being fearless - it was about doing things despite the fear. Doing what you normally wouldn't do.
I have never stood up before a group of people and delivered a "speech" before. I was brought in as a special speaker for my alma mater Texas A&M University in Corpus Christi this week to speak about "Breaking Stereotypes in Hollywood". I basically covered my challenges as a Latina actress who has to face numerous stereotypical roles (such as "Maria the maid") constantly. It was an awesome day! I started off visiting a friend of mine at my old high school and talked to them quickly about being a professional actress in Hollywood. They had lots of questions, like do I make a lot of money and live ina big house! HA!
Then I gave a workshop to the Acting majors for the Theater Department about "How to be a Working Actor". They had lots of questions also, but theirs were focusing more about the basics and starting off in a smaller market, like I did (in Austin).
Then it was off to do the speech. I had family and some old friends in the audience for support and was interviewed afterwards by news stations and a documentary filmmaker. I was even asked to speak at a future event for one friend and emcee an awards banquet for another. Then, on my way to the car, I was asked to stop by a class on "Morals and Ethics in Communications" taught by one of my former professors to say hello to his students.
It was a great day all in all.
Another thing I did "despite the fear" was cut my hair. I changed the style pretty dramatically. I have never had it this short, but I did this for my career. If I wanted to be considered for more professional roles, I had to look the part. I like it. It's cute and different. Now I have to get new headshots....great.
And one more thing I am doing "despite the fear" is move out of my incredibly CHEAP one bedroom apartment and into a GREAT 2 bedroom guest cottage. It's more rent, but also more room...and I do believe I will be MUCH happier there. So I'm very excited.
I'm moving in about a month.
New beginnings. Doing things despite the fear. It's all very liberating.
What's next??!! hahah
Actually, on Tuesday I have an audition at an office I have been trying to get into for the past few years! I had auditioned for a small role on a pilot and did horribly about 4 years ago and have been desperately trying to get back in there for a second chance. Now, years later, here it is! My second chance! :) Just have to go in there and book it now!

Comments

magickat said…
Your hair looks wonderful. It's very "posh" :) I like it.

You must feel very proud to have faced that fear of speaking in that forum and to have come out so successfully.

Congrats to all your good news.
Anonymous said…
Congrats Lydia!

Simply Put - your blog inspires drive & confidence upon me on a daily basis...

BREAK A LEG LYDIA ON YOUR AUDITION!

JESSE
Tim said…
Your hair looks great Lydia! You really sound like a confident, composed actor, despite your fear. I can see only better things coming your way, and can't wait to see what's around the bend for you.
Just be sure to keep us fans in the loop, via your blog.
Take care!
Tim
Jules said…
that's a great look for you, Lydia!
Anonymous said…
nice haircut, very sexy

R.C.

Popular posts from this blog

And the JOURNEY Continues...

Proud Agent

ACTOR: Your Hobby or Profession?