The Austin Journey

Rehearsals are in full swing for Too Many Husbands, the play I'm doing here in Austin for Different Stages. We had to be off book by this weekend. Yikes! I'm still a little shaky on my lines. I'm playing the mother of the ingenue, the woman married to "too many husbands". This has been a very challenging project for me. Mainly because I think the last play production I've been in was way over two years ago! But, also because this piece is a British comedy set in the early 1900's. So my British accent is also a bit shaky. And my character isn't as developed as I would like it to be by this point. It has resulted in my leaving rehearsals in frustrated tears and wanting to quit at times - but of course, I would NEVER do that. I grin and bear it and remind myself that this is all a learning experience.
I think part of my frustration is, I really need a clean cut BREAK after leaving LA, and diving into a play head first, isn't really a break. So after this closes, I will take that needed vacation from ACTING, and concentrate on other things...
I received the postcard today from the director, and unfortunately, my name was the only one that accidentally got left off the postcard. That sucks. :( How am I supposed to promote this to people I know? Do I just write in my name? Oh well...
I also had a consulting meeting with an actress on Friday. She is relocating to Hollywood and needed some questions asked to help better prepare her for the move. I love doing consultations. I really love helping people reach their dreams. I feel like I've been able to do that for myself, and it's nice to help others. Maybe I should look into being an agent or manager if the casting route doesn't pan out like I hoped...?
I did attend my first Austin Actors Conservatory Board Meeting yesterday. It was pretty awesome to meet some movers and shakers in the Austin scene - the union Austin scene. (The conservatory is part of SAG.) I feel good that I connected with people who will help me find my direction in this business, and in this town.
I have a confession....There was a time, just a short couple of weeks ago, that my boyfriend and I considered a move to Los Angeles so I can focus on a career in Casting. He was willing to uproot himself so I could try my hand at a new start on a second career. But after we discussed it further, we decided to stay put and focus on growing our family. That is why I left LA afterall, so it would make no sense to go back so soon. So Austin it is! And I just have to be patient as to the road my life will take me.
Like they say, it's not about the destination - it's the journey. :)

Comments

Julia said…
Hey! I have a blog about acting too. New updates every mondays and fridays! check out and please follow! -julia
http://actinginyourstyle.blogspot.com/

Popular posts from this blog

And the JOURNEY Continues...

Proud Agent

ACTOR: Your Hobby or Profession?