And the JOURNEY Continues...

First of all, let me just say this blog was correctly titled!

My journey has been quite an interesting one!  Definitely not "uneventful" - that's for sure...

I left LA about 6 1/6 years ago, not knowing why I was leaving a pretty stable acting career in an industry where stable acting careers are hard to find.  I came back home to Texas, not sure what I was looking for, but open to the adventure that was to be found.

Three years later, I left Austin and found myself back in my hometown of Corpus Christi Texas, with two kids and a husband.  That was January, 2 years ago.  My initial plan was to open up a casting office in town, and continue casting.  What I found was a city that didn't have much of an entertainment business community.  No talent agencies, no acting schools, aside from high school theatre and the college and university.  That makes casting very difficult.

That's when I decided to start teaching.  I found Aurora Arts Theatre, and they welcomed me with open arms.  I started teaching a Headshot Workshop, then an Audition Technique class.  Then I added an Acting for the Camera class.  I invested in a camera, lights, backdrop, and my classes continued to grow and grow.  After about 6 months of teaching at the community theatre, I decided it was time to move my classes to an actual home, and Spotlight Talent Studios was created.

After teaching these actors for about a year, they were ready for the next step:  finding an agent.  I advised them that since there were no agencies in town, their best bet was to go to Houston, Austin, or any other city to pursue a career in acting.

That's when I decided that instead of sending great talent to other cities, I would try and get them working while they lived here.  So then The Blanco Agency was born.  That was last January.

For 15 months I juggled two businesses on my own.  And I knew, based on the talent on this town, and the growing community, that these would grow to two full time businesses in no time.

And that's exactly what happened.  I've been doing the super-human act of juggling the acting studio and talent agency for over a year - and it's been hard!  Especially considering my other full time job of "mommy" to two 4 year old kids!  And the fact that I taught almost all of the classes!

So yesterday, was the big day.  I handed over the studio to someone else to run.  You know how that saying goes, "You have to let it go, to let it GROW" - and that's what I did.  I let the studio go to someone who will grow it into the studio I've always wanted it to be - and I will focus on the agency, so I can grow these actors into the professionals I know they are!

It was a mix of emotions, because that was a huge milestone for me - opening the studio.  And I have seen actors evolve into better actors over our time together, and I am proud of that.  I'm excited for what's in store for the students and the studio.

I'm excited for what's in store for me and my family.  Now I will get to spend more time at home, with my kids.

And the word "home" is changing for us as well.  More on that to come!  :)





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Proud Agent

ACTOR: Your Hobby or Profession?